Thursday 10 January 2013

Its a New Year

2012 ended with the momentous occasion of our wedding. It was amazing, simple, true, beautiful and beyond anything we could imagine. The wind did not blow (although everyone warned me it would), it was not too hot, the pastor was on time, I was late - all was as it should be :)




After 2 days on our own, to let the fact that we were indeed married (whoop whoop!), we were back at work for 3 days before the onslaught of the silly season. We had our first Christmas together and my first Christmas without my mom, our first New Years together and my first New Years being sober. To be honest I think it was all a bit much for us - one life changing event after the other.  I only came out of shell shock and recovery on 6 January, the day before we were due to return to work. It suddenly hit me how much I love this man I married and how excited I am for our little one to arrive.



Onto the next chapter

But there is no rest for those of us who wish to grasp the whole of life with both hands and so it is time to start tackling that baby room and making a home for our little one. I wont lie, it does have an air of "overwhelming" to it. There is so much to learn, to prepare for.

Being the only mother in my circle of friends I don't have first-hand knowledge and experience in my close circle leaving me feeling somewhat out of my depth. But I have googled and gathered everyone's tips and must-do's so I think I have a handle on it.

Here is nice list of things that almost everyone has mentioned at one time or another that are must haves for the baby room:

  1. Comfy feeding chair (that you wont mind sleeping in) that has  a table with a drawer near-by filled with healthy snacks, a book to read 
  2. extra seating for family and friends to be able to sit with you while you tackle those feeding times
  3. Shelves above your compactum for things that you will need at hand and in easy reach
  4. A heater fan to keep little one warm after bath time (it also provides good white noise when the heat is not on)
  5. A chest that can double as storage and extra seating for all those visitors
  6. A bouncy chair so baba can be kept safe when you want to wash a dish or yourself!
  7. Two changing mats, you just never know
  8. A night light or fairy lights to create ambient lighting for you when feeding in the middle of the night
  9. Lots of baskets to hold all the little things that you will want to get your hands on quickly and easily


Blue or Pink?

Everyone we speak to is so surprised by the fact that we are keeping the sex a surprise. I love the excitement, the wondering, the anticipation. I also love the fact that I cannot superimpose any expectations or visions of what this littler person is going to be like - leaving him or her with a clean slate to come into this world with.

When it comes to nurseries I am absolutely adoring the simple, warm and neutral colours so I am happy to make the nursery up like so, with no sign of the obvious blue or pink themes or even worse yellow and green.

Here are some pics that encapsulate the kind of nursery I would like to create:






No comments:

Post a Comment